I’m Nina Milton, and this blog is all about getting out the laptop or the pen and pad to get writing. My blogposts are focused on advice and suggestions and news for writers, but also on a love reading with plenty of reviews, and a look at my pagan life, plus arts and culture. Get all my posts as they appear by becoming a subscriber. Click below right...

Friday 29 May 2020

The Despondent Writers Guide to Success.


Writers do get despondent at times. 

I hear from students and fellow writers all the time to say they've waded into a slough of despond over their writing and now they can't get out again. 

"You're not alone," I tell them. "We all get stuck in the mud from time to time." 

 Why does this happen? I think it has to do with success. Writers crave it, and it is as elusive as a shadow at midday. So today, I'm going to suggest that pulling a writer out of despondency doesn't need ropes and a harnessed ox, it needs flexible goals. 

Naturally, you're going to get despondent if your goal is to win Pridport, or get published by Faber. That's not going to happen overnight, so narrow those goal posts to something actually achievable. Hugely popular published writers have all been laid low by the blank page or the rejection slip, but they moved on, often by writing anything...anything at all.

 What I try to do is write. I may write for two weeks ‘the cat sat on the mat, that is that, not a rat.’ And it might be just the most boring and awful stuff...and then it’s as if the muse is convinced that I’m serious and says, ‘Okay. Okay. I’ll come.’”  So said Maya Angelou, one of the world's most loved writers. And Neil Gamain would agree...get one page of anything written, three hundred words of memories or dreams or stream of consciousness on how much they hate writing,

 Prizewinning author Jenefer Egan tells us that there is this fear of writing badly. Forget it! Let it float away and the good stuff follows.” Following those snips of advice will really lift the despondent writer. 


In the Moors, the 1st in the Shaman Mystery Series
is only 99p on Kindle for a limited time,
and free on Kindle Unlimited
Having had three books published in the Shaman Mystery Series, I wondered if I could write another. I felt terrified of even starting. What helped me was that I had fun writing about Sabbie Dare. I love her as a person, and want to enter her world and be with her. So I started.
I wrote boring, awful stuff, I wrote memories and dreams, I wrote that I hated writing. 
Then,  I floated away and behold! I no longer had a blank page. Good stuff was following bad. After that, I kept setting goals that I could reach, at least some of the time. Try to write 1,000 words daily, even if it is 'the cat sat on the mat', was my first aim. I didn't achieve it every day, but over the first week, I did get a chapter complete, and over the first three months I was well on my way towards the last chapter. 

Setting these simple, achievable goals really helped. I didn't think about selling the novel, or even finishing it, just the next 1,000 words. I tried to have fun. I really recommend this as a pick-me-up for other writers. 

Now,  Behind the Floodgate is on its way to being published, in paperback and Kindle. I will keep you abreast of both events, as I know a lot of my readers have been waiting avidly for book four in The Shaman Mystery Series.  Very soon I will be able to show you the cover, and some extracts from Behind the Floodgate

And guess what! I went right back, opened a new blank document and started all over again. Not a Sabbie story...not a children's book.  I'm writing for Young Adults. At the moment, I don't even know the final title of this story, but I already love the central character, and my settings, both places I know well; Aberystwyth and Bristol. Each day I set a goal...a bit further into the story. I will keep you posted on my progress.

FAQ from my Despondent Writers postbag...

Q I feel low about my writing 
A…Write a letter, with a pen, if possible. Writer to someone you want to talk to, but can't at this moment. Send it, and enjoy reading (or hearing, they may phone), the response. And make sure you keep all correspondence that has perked you up  and leaf through them from time to time
QI have nowhere quiet to write
A… Invest in some ear plugs and you can even join your family in front of the telly.
Q  Telling myself to write a number of words a day freezes me into not writing at all.
A  This approach isn't for everyone, it can constraining, pressurising and offputting.  If it's putting you off, don't do it, set some other goal instead, such as reading new things, collecting ideas (see below). or at least doing 10 minutes of freewriting fun playtime every day.
Q I never seem to be in the right mood to write
A…You may find this disappears, once you put all the tips into effect…especially notebooking, walking on your own to think about writing, reading relevant books, dipping into research and freewriting...the cat sat on the mat stuff.. But you may also want check your writing ‘time’ is at a good part of the day for your mood – not when you’re exhausted, or have had alcohol, for instance. Find one effective way to ‘beat’ your own mood and put it into action at the start of your writing time.
Q   I really want to write, but just have no ideas
A…the more we focus on something, the stronger those ideas become. So focus in on one project and go all out to research it, making notes as you go. First though you need one project. Try buying all the Sunday Supplements one weekend and picking one subject that inspires you from one of them. 
Q  I feel guilty spending time on my writing.
A... How important is writing to you? Give it a score, as compared to other important parts of your life, out of ten. Now look at how much time you give to other parts, and allow yourself at least as much.

Q No, it’s not me, it’s those I live with – they make me feel guilty. 
A...This time, your list should be about how much time they spend doing what they like…watching tv, chatting on the phone…watching soaps…hours of Youtube…now you feel better, don’t you? 

Got the writer's blues? If the question you're burning to ask isn't here, when not post it as a comment below?


Nina Milton's Giveaway Competition Results!

Six weeks ago, I announced a new giveaway;  a new copy 
To win Rewild Yourself  by Simon Barnes, to give to the UK subscriber who came up with the best couple of  sentences telling me why they thought they should be sent the free book. 

The winner is G. Richards of Bristol, who wrote...I listen to my music as I do my hour lockdown walk... I think they deserve Rewild Yourself to encourage them to take off those earphones occasionally and listen the the wild! 
Congratualtions to them, the book is in the post. Read the original blogpost here 

1 comment:

Leave a comment about this blog!