- Set an achievable number of words per day (say, 500) and write this without fail (even Christmas Day if possible!)
- Make a resolution to write something ever day, even if it’s only a paragraph.
|little and often or spluge and purge|
- Some of the words/paras/chapters will have to go
- Some new words – ideas, enrichments, changes – will have to be accomplished
- Some parts will have to be moved; juggled about
- Some character profiles need alteration, or souping up
- Some characters should be removed from the stage altogether
- Some of the work needed will be very bitty; sentences taken out, conversations rearranged, names changed.
- An overall view of the draft will point up the sagging sections and where further dramatic tension should be added - not to mention whether the overall thing works!
- Although I thought I was writing things in the order I wanted them, I haven’t done so; this suggests that it’s not necessary to write things in the right order at all at Draft 1 stage.
|Preperation counts for a lot|